2015-16 MCFD Budget Commentary

MCFD received an additional $22 million this fiscal year. School enrollment is declining. This indicates number of children (potential targets of the child protection industry) is dropping. Representative of Children and Youth published a report recommending extension of foster care age limit by another 5 years (from the current 19 years of age to 24). That would make up the difference for declining removals.

Foster parent attrition rate seems very high. The budget labels it "retention", but it would seem there is a 23% turnover rate, 736 left fostering business in a year. There are currently about 3,200 foster homes, down from a record high of 3,300 a year or two ago.

62% of removed children experienced no change in placement. This statistics undermines the fact that multiple moves of foster children as a rampant problem. Why the remaining 38% removed children were placed in different foster homes? Some removed children were moved 6 times in different foster homes in a year.

The Aboriginal children removal rate remains exceptionally high (about 50%). Aboriginal children are cash cows to MCFD as their removals generate federal subsidies.

The budget mentioned 9 performance measures. The only relevant key performance measure is the number of children returned to their birth parents. This is a true indication of family development. Of course, returning children to their parents acts against the financial interests of the child protection industry and will be avoided by hook or by crook.



[This page was added on 25 February 2015 and last revised on 25 February 2015.]